Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Culture Club





Recently I have been asked by prospective clients and preferred partners if I plan "cultural weddings." I L-O-V-E when this question is asked of me because my answer is a resounding "YES!"

Truth be told, this is what makes the world go round for me. Growing up in New York, I had so many wonderful experiences and exposure to such cultural and socio-economic diversity it would be criminal to keep that all to myself. I often think that this introduction into others' ethnology or lifestyle is the catalyst for much of my creative thinking.

I was raised Roman Catholic, however, each time I am witness to a Jewish ceremony accompanied by the breaking of the glass and the robust cheers of "Mazel Tav!" I am simply moved to unmistakable goose bumps. Likewise, watching a couple "jump the broom" makes me contemplate about their generations past and the strides they had overcome.

I once had a groom so moved by sheer joy at his reception that he asked me if he could break plates like the Greek's do! (Hey--money talks and he was willing to pay, so I broke a few myself!)

One of my most moving experiences though was witnessing the 2 ceremonies of Joy and Sateesh last April. Blending southern and northern Indian traditions was a priceless experience that I will forever be grateful for.

Moving...and inspiring; as all of these "cultural weddings" are and should be. Allow yourself to borrow a culture as well just as my "Greek for a day" groom. I love this notion and do my best to encourage it in each and every client. What inspires you?

I now have the great privilege and challenge of creating an exceptional and exceedingly creative wedding for a Chinese couple and family for this coming November.

That, my friends, is what makes our country the melting pot that it is and **yes** makes the world go round for me!

No comments: